Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Dragonfly pincushion


This a pincushion and scissor fob that I created. It used blanket stitch, which is my favourite of all stitches. I can still remember the look on my Mums face as I repaired the torn sleeve of an old yard-shirt with blanket stitch. I think she despaired of me ever being able to grasp the concept of neatness and invisibility when it came to sewing.

Lucky for me, sewing pincushions and associated bits and bobs with felt can incorporate blanket stitch quite effectively. Yay!!!

I participated in a pincushion round-robin, in which a box of pincushion goodies went around the world. That was fun. The pincushion and fob in the picture now reside on the other side of the country. I love how the internet has made interstate and international crafting so much more available to everyone. It's awesome to know that something in your collection started it's life in the hands of someone thousands of kilometers away, or that something you made now lives in a different house with a different crafter and is possibly being shared with a community that you never would have had something to do with beforehand.

Unfortunately, with the incorporation of temari making into my life, pincushion making has taken a backseat. If only I could pay my mortgage off with craft items!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment